- Don’t rape!
- Place responsibility on the rapist.
- Create a supportive environment where survivors are believed and NOT blamed.
- Intervene when you see behaviors that could lead to sexual violence.
- If you know someone has a history of perpetrating sexual violence, warn others!
- If you witness sexual violence at a party, have the host remove the offender.
- Challenge sexist jokes
- Challenge misogyny in the media.
- Educate yourself and be a resource
- Become active! Volunteer, write letters, attend rallies- do something to personally make a difference.
I’m on Reddit (Yea, god forbid. Ugh.) And this shows up on 2XChromosomes. People are bashing it as a message that could cause more problems than good.
The harm isn’t in the content of this list, it is based on what’s missing. If I gave you a gun manual that was filled with tons of helpful information, but neglected to mention the safety it would be a bad manual to hand out, right?
That is the argument in a nutshell. This guy, for the most part, seems to have a pretty good head on every other aspect of rape. ‘It’s not good, not her fault, etc…’ But this, I find this really freaking condescending to women, and also ignorant of all the victim-blaming out there. If women weren’t blamed for their rapes, or told they ‘deserved’ it, then content like stuff above wouldn’t be necessary. But our culture is inundated with slut-shaming, victim-blaming shit. Ugh.
Anyone got any good tips on how to explain how shitty this excuse is? I’ve been trying way more than I probably should have. :/